Sunday 16 September 2018

Industrial Farming -- July 2018


Greenpeace have been running a series of TV advertisements lately in which they oppose the development of land in the McKenzie Basin for dairying. It’s dystopian, dramatically shot in black and white and it pisses me off every time I see it.

It doesn’t annoy me because of their opposition, after all a fair chunk of dairy farmers find themselves in agreement with Greenpeace on this issue, even Fonterra have said they’d rather the conversion didn’t go ahead. As an aside, Fonterra are legally obliged to pick up the milk from these new farms because of the Dairy Industry Restructuring Act, despite their market share in the South Island dipping below 80% some years ago. Maybe that’s a topic for another column.

No, the advertisement irritates with its use of the phrase “industrial farming”, a term that is never defined yet seems to have found its way into almost every discussion about dairy farming in New Zealand. I personally think its disingenuous and lazy language unsuitable for describing New Zealand’s pastoral dairying, but I was curious to see what Twitter thought.

“I move”, I tweeted, “the term ‘industrial farming’ be struck from use until the people using it can provide a clear, concise definition. It’s hyperbole, pure and simple.”

The response was immediate. “I move”, replied Amanda, the less funny half of the comedy duo The Fan Brigade, “the term ‘DairyMan’ be struck from use indefinitely.”

The other responses I got ranged from Wikipedia definitions (high density farming in sheds or feedlots) to outright pearl clutching (the practice of farming where the operator is not entirely contained within its boundaries and can no longer be run solely by one or two people).

No two people could agree on a definition and the replies were characterised by a worrying lack of knowledge about how we actually farm. Irrigation was a common theme despite most dairy farms in New Zealand not being irrigated, as was scale. When I asked if a one hundred cow farm stocked at 5 cows per hectare was more or less industrial than a thousand cow farm stocked at 3 cows per hectare I didn’t receive a single reply.

Megan Hands, a Canterbury based consultant, chimed in with some facts and figures that were met with disbelief. People simply couldn’t accept that the average stocking rate in this country is 2.9 cows/ha.

The replies came in for several days, it transpires the terms industrial farming and factory farming have been used to great effect in the USA to demonise the agricultural sector there and it saddens me to see it being so eagerly adopted here.

I know Greenpeace saw my tweet, they liked several of the more negative replies I received, but they didn’t see fit to provide their own definition. As farmers all we can do is engage politely and try to educate others while understanding where they’re coming from, but it’s getting harder by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment